Thursday 26 April 2012

Alternator


Today I began work on the Alternator testing book. The first thing I did was disassemble it. I removed the rear cover nuts with a 8mm spanner and removed cover 


Rear Cover Removed shows nuts and terminal insulator bottom right 


After the cover was removed I began to remove the other parts that are on top which were the brush holder ,voltage regulator, and Rectifier, all came out fairly easily once the correct screws and nuts were removed. 


Fully disassembled rear of alternator. shows parts removed (going clockwise) bottom right is Regulator, next part above to left is Rectifier, and to the right of that is the Brush holder and brushes, at the very top is the screws and nuts that are removed


After this was done I began on the testing of the alternator. The first area I tested was for earth leakage. Which requires you to use a multimeter on resistance (or Ω) test position. The probes had to be put on the centre of the rotor. The black lead was put on the centre of the shaft and the Red lead was put on the slip ring (at base of shaft) when I read the reading it showed OL which was what it should read, so it passed.


The next test was for Rotor Winding Continuity. Which required me to put each lead of the multimeter, on the slip rings one above the other. When the reading was complete it showed a reading of 2.76Ω which was inside the required value which was <5Ω so it passed.


That is all I did today tomorrow I will complete the testing of the alternator.

No comments:

Post a Comment